Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Future

Future has always been one of my favorite words. I guess because of it's unlimited possibilities. The future has always held big dreams and big thoughts for myself and pretty much everybody I've always known.

As a child I dreamed that someday in the future I would be a famous rock star onstage singing the greatest songs ever written. Songs that I would write, songs that people would love and admire. I did end up trying the music thing and it was a career for me for over 15 years of my life. I ended up writing over 100 songs. There were a few times during that 15 years that fame and fortune peeped it's head in my realm of possibilities but when it came right down to it I always knew I was more of a down home sorta boy. That always prevented me from taking it any further than keeping it a local type thing. Eventually I gave it up all together. But, for a while I made my childhood dream of the future a reality.

I remember as a kid watching the Jetsons and thinking how great it would be to have a flying automobile. I envisioned that when traffic became backed up that we could just propel into the sky and pass up all those undesirable traffic jams. We don't quite yet have those fantastic flying cars - but maybe one day in our near future.

The Skycar will be operated completely by computer and guided by GPS satellites

One of my fondest dreams was the invention of the picture phone. I think that's another one I got from watching the Jetsons. Come to think of it The Jetsons really fueled the imaginations of many children and adults alike. The most fantastic thing is picture phones are here now, they're called video phones. A video phone (aka mobile phone or cell phone) is a telephone with a video screen which is capable of bi-directional video and audio transmissions. Shortly after the telephone was patented a prototype of the videophone was developed and was called the telephonoscope. an early sketch was published in December 1878.






Technology plays a big part in the future of our lives and the future of our children and their children. One of the most fascinating aspects of our current day and hopefully the development of our future is solar power. I have written about this before because I am truly amazed by this. It is quite fascinating to think of all the possibilities available from our natural resources. Not too long ago the thought of harnessing power from the sun was just a theory and something futuristic. For hundreds of years we've used the sun to dry our clothes and food, but it is only recently that we have been able to use it to generate power.

The sun is 93,000,000 miles away from the Earth and is astonishingly powerful. Only a miniscule fraction of the sun's energy actually hits the earth, but that is enough to power the earth many times over. In each 24 hour period enough energy reaches the earth to meet our power needs for more than 25 years.





What are your dreams of the future? what do you think the future holds?


FUTURE

2 comments:

  1. i get caught up in the idea of future, so i try to not think too much @ it.
    maybe blade runner-ish...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...